Sunday, June 20, 2010

A positively long overdue Post!!

I have to admit, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures.  I had a weekend in Seoul and walked away with like 10 pictures.  My apologies, I've never been a picture person.

Actually found this photo from my first day of work -right before I walked out the door to take the bus - bus number 1-1, which costs me 900won or 75 cents to get to work. Felt like the first day of school really. A student who wanted to impress her teachers.
On Thursday I went to get my haircut with my America co-teacher Bria.  We ended up going to Sanbondong, which is a large outdoor mall area about a 15 to 20 minute bus ride from home.  It was interesting trying to explain to someone who doesn't speak English what you want for a hair cut.  So I ended up finding a picture of what was close to what I wanted and went from there.  But there was a problem, my hair is too fine to have as many layers as the picture that I pointed to, so my hair dresser ended up calling his brother in GERMANY to help negotiate the haircut.  The hairdresser kept saying "VOOL-UME", "VOOL-UME", I got him to write down what he was trying to tell me in Korean, and it turns out that he wants me to get a volume perm, and a scalp treatment from a scalp doctor.  We'll see, I guess I've kind of grown accustom to my really really really fine hair - and apparently horrible scalp.  I really enjoyed getting my haircut - mint shampoo and condition, scalp massage, haircut and blow dry for 15,000 won - $12.45....AND you don't tip in Korea. And this place was a really upscale salon!

Thursday was actually the night that South Korea played Argentina in the World Cup, so when I got back to my neighborhood, I found this right outside my door!
I found people out in mass on the sidewalks, screens set up everywhere - to watch Korea play soccer.  It was so packed that I couldn't even walk down the sidewalk.  And god forbid I walk in front of one of the hundreds of TVs set up just for the game.


Friday night, I went into Seoul for the first time.  Since I haven't been shown how to take the bus to the subway station yet, I took a 7 minute taxi ride to Pyeongchon station for 3,000 won ($2.50) and then took the light blue line to Samgakji and then took the Burnt Orange line two stops (East) to Itaewon - the entire trip into Seoul, including the taxi was 4,200 won ($3.50) - and took about 40 minutes.
Below is the subway map. Pyeongchon is on the light blue line in the lower left corner - follow that to the burnt orange line and go two stations to the right for Itaweon.
This post....To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment