Monday, June 21, 2010

Lisa's Birthday

Before work, I stopped by Dunkin Donuts for a coffee.  Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find drip coffee in the country. Everything - if you find coffee, is watered down espresso - so I got my iced watered down espresso - which they call "iced americano", and happened upon this lovely donut. 
For those of you who don't know, Kimchi is spicy fermented cabbage.

When I got to school, I discovered it was Lisa's birthday.  It is a HUGE celebration for these pre-schoolers.  The school day stops, and the kid is presented with all sorts of food and presents and the other children sing songs to her and tell her how great she is.
I don't think you can see it, but there is a "6" on Lisa's birthday cake.  Lisa isn't actually 6 years olds - she's 5.  They do this really weird thing in Korea where you are born at age "1" - and you turn the next age on January 1 of the following year.  So I am Korean age 25, and turned as such on Jan 1st, 2010.  (International age - as they call it - I'm 23, and on Oct. 31, I'll be 24). 

Below is a picture of the three little girls I teach second class of the day.
Please let me know if there is anything you'd like me to write about or take pictures of.

-Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment